To submit a letter on behalf of a candidate, please select "Letter of support."
The Clark/Payne Award and Victor Cohn Prize will be listed on this site when the nomination period for each award begins on January 1 of each year. The deadlines for those submissions are June 30 and July 31, respectively. The application period for New Horizons in Science travel fellowships opens on July 1 each year.
For additional details on fellowships and awards, visit the CASW website.
The Council for the Advancement of Science Writing is committed to improving the quality of science news reaching the public. Comprised of a panel of distinguished journalists and scientists, CASW develops and funds programs to help reporters and writers produce accurate and informative stories about developments in science, technology, medicine and the environment.
Questions? Contact Diane McGurgan.
P.O. Box 910
Hedgesville, WV 25427
The 10th World Conference of Science Journalists (WCSJ2017), the largest meeting of science journalists in the world, provides an opportunity to draw some of the 1,200+ attendees to your research institute, business, attraction, or service to showcase what you do. WCSJ2017’s partcipants represent 80+ countries and 6 continents and major newspapers, magazines, broadcast media, international news services, and online publications.
Take advantage of their eagerness to sample the people and places that make the San Francisco Bay Area unique, whether a cultural, artistic or scenic treasure, a natural wonder, a scientific powerhouse, a tech start-up, or a foodie destination.
- Inclusion in the conference program
- Marketing, registration and transportation management for your event
- Other benefits can be had for helping to sponsor the conference
To propose sponsoring a field trip, tour or other offsite activity for participants in WCSJ2017, to be held in San Francisco Oct. 26-30, 2017, please use this submission form to provide some details. The field trip committee will review the proposals and be in touch by January 31, 2017.
To use this submission site, you should first create an account by entering your information below. After you click "Create Account and Continue," you will be able to access the form.
Please express any costs and fees in US dollars.
The application window for the 2016-17 academic year has now closed. Applications for fellowships for the 2017-18 academic year will be accepted through March 19, 2017.
For more background on the Taylor/Blakeslee University Fellowships, see this page.
If you are a recommender wishing only to submit a letter in support of an applicant, please use the Letter of Support form.
Journalists with at least two years of mass-media experience are particularly invited to apply. This can include work on a college newspaper or other journalistic experience involving reporting in any field. CASW welcomes anyone who can show good writing skills and interest in science journalism to seek these fellowships.
Students must have an undergraduate degree and must convince the CASW selection committee of their ability to pursue a career in writing about science for the general public.
Fellows may attend school either full-time or part-time. Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
Science writing includes writing about science, medicine, health, technology and the environment for the general public. Fellowships are not available to those intending to pursue careers in technical writing.
To apply online fill out the form on the next page and upload:
- Samples of your writing
- A brief letter of recommendation from a teacher or someone who knows you. (Alternatively, the recommender can submit the letter using the Letter of Support form.)
As Mark Twain put it: "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead."
Questions? Contact Diane McGurgan.
- a letter of support for a candidate for the Victor Cohn Prize for Excellence in Medical Science Reporting (to submit a nomination package, please use the Victor Cohn Prize form)
- a letter of support for a candidate for the Evert Clark/Seth Payne Award for a Young Science Journalist
- a recommendation of an applicant for a Taylor/Blakeslee University Fellowship or Taylor/Blakeslee Project Fellowship
- a recommendation of an applicant for a New Horizons travel fellowship
- The form accepts both uploaded documents and text entered on the page. To access the form, you will need to create an account.
Applicants and nominees should not use this form to submit materials.